Thursday, July 12, 2012

Your Chi Omega Legacy Questions... Answered!


Piper Taylor (Upsilon/Union U) with her daughter Jen (Zeta Zeta/Samford U)
A Chi Omega legacy is a daughter or a sister of an initiated member in good standing.

However, Chi Omega encourages alumnae to call attention to potential new members (PNMs) who are not legacies but who have other Chi Omega relatives, such as grandmothers, aunts, cousins, etc. 

Legacy Policies
According to Chi Omega’s national rules, a chapter must invite a legacy to at least one formal recruitment event unless there is only one invitational party. Each collegiate chapter must have a legacy policy ensuring that legacies are given the best opportunity either to pledge Chi Omega or, if they are not a match for Chi Omega, to be released in a timely manner so they may be considered by other groups. This policy should be reviewed annually to ensure its ongoing relevance.

Additional Considerations
As the size of our Fraternity continues to increase, it becomes more and more important for alumnae to adopt a “pro-Greek” approach to recruitment. Alumnae should be aware that in some areas more legacies participate in recruitment than the number of women the chapter may pledge (quota). To be eligible for serious consideration, legacies must meet the chapter’s high standards just like any other PNM. In any case, the Governing Council asks that courteous attention and respect is extended to all PNMs with Chi Omega relatives.

Click here to view our Facebook photo album of Chi Omega legacies! 

Are you a Chi Omega legacy? Do you have a Chi Omega legacy? Tell us your legacy story in the comments section, below!

7 comments:

  1. Chi Omega cut both of my daughters. One at Florida State, the other at Michigan State (my home campus and chapter) My mom founded the XO chapter at Western Michigan. Im not sure I can ever forgive Chi Omega for doing this. Both had the grades, leadership, extra-currciulars, clean social media, etc - they just didn't know anyone as they were both out of state. I am still hurt and angry to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was cut as well. I was hurt, but I remind myself that the chapter at her school is not the chapter from which I came. She found her home in another outstanding NPC chapter and I think she ended up with the better end of the deal. I have several sisters whose daughters had the same experience, and they’re all very happy in the sororities that welcomed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter was top of her class and stellar student in San Antonio, My daughter did not even get a meeting to a party. Not even give a legacy the grace a 30 minute meeting! So terrible. According to the National Policy she should have. I am very disappointed in this and will now question the thousands of dollars I have donated to ChiOmega philanthropy events over 25 years. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter was top of her class and stellar student in San Antonio, My daughter did not even get a meeting to a party. Not even give a legacy the grace a 30 minute meeting! So terrible. According to the National Policy she should have. I am very disappointed in this and will now question the thousands of dollars I have donated to ChiOmega philanthropy events over 25 years. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter was top of her class and stellar student in San Antonio, My daughter did not even get a meeting to a party. Not even give a legacy the grace a 30 minute meeting! So terrible. According to the National Policy she should have. I am very disappointed in this and will now question the thousands of dollars I have donated to ChiOmega philanthropy events over 25 years. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter went all the way to pref night with chi o & another sorority. She felt like she really connected with the chi o girls but they didn’t match & she got a bid to another sorority. She went ahead & is going to continue with the other sorority. What’s making it worse is the chapter has now offered at least 3 cob offers to girls & 1 didn’t even participate in rush & the other 2 didn’t even make it to chi o 2nd night of parties. I know legacy isn’t that big a thing anymore but this is ridiculous what they are now doing. My daughters heart hurts a little more every time she hears of someone else getting offers. I told her now it’s about making up their quota & why would you want to be a part of it. I’ve always talked to highly of chi o but now I’m so disappointed. You’d think they might of at least let me know they weren’t offering to her

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bragged about sisterhood and the reverence of a legacy. At KSU, that doesn’t matter. My daughter is honors, received early acceptance to the architect program, is blond and green eyed, has a love of volunteering, and received nothing. The legacy policies mean nothing. I will be taking my donations and, most disheartening, love of sisterhood out of Chi Omega. Chi-O is a big Chi-NO is my world. I will definitely not recommend rushing this sorority to any of the seniors in high school where I am a principal. Join an organization that honors its past by looking at its future.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some hoots below!