Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chi Omega Memories with Malinda Jolley Mortin


The following are transcribed excerpts from a June interview with Malinda Jolley Mortin, Upsilon Delta/U of Miami, by Foundation writer Erin Wood, Mu Kappa/Duke U.

Since Malinda was the recipient of this year’s prestigious Roselyn T. Dabbs Philanthropist Award, I was curious about Malinda’s history with Chi Omega and what prompts her to continue to give to Chi Omega so generously year after year.

What is one of your favorite Chi Omega memories?
Meeting Mary Love Collins at The Greenbrier in 1962. Since that was nearly 50 years ago, I have forgotten many of the details, but it was interesting to run across a woman who is the namesake for a Chi Omega scholarship. I think I might have remembered more if my chapter wasn’t so nervous to put on a skit in front of such a large audience of alumnae and college girls!

What is your favorite part of Convention?
Definitely The Woman of Achievement Award Dinner. Every Convention year, I am totally wiped out—just bowled over—by the accomplishments of the award recipients. If you read their bios, you can’t help but be impressed. I have met several of the past award recipients and have found that they are even more awe-inspiring when you speak with them. The dinner is always fun, and I can’t wait to hear what the honorees will say in their speeches. When you first look at them and read their bios, you might make a prediction about what they might say, but it isn’t always what you think!

What is your favorite memory of S.H. Roselyn Dabbs?
My one-on-one meeting with her in Atlanta during the “Headquarters Campaign.” She had a broken foot (or ankle), but she showed up in Atlanta for the meeting anyway. What dedication to Chi Omega!

What does it mean to you to be this year’s recipient of the prestigious award named in her honor?
I feel like I have to be tenacious like Roselyn. She had brain cancer but just kept going. Her attitude toward life was an inspiration to all.

Why do you choose to give, and give generously, to Chi Omega year after year?
The Foundation is a top-flight organization that manages its resources very well, enabling solid leadership and education programs for our collegiate Sisters.

What would you say to young alumnae about why they should be philanthropic? 
I was very close with my father. I worked with him at his Atlanta brokerage firm, starting the day I got out of college. He was demanding, but also forgiving. He had a very strong philanthropic spirit. He also had the Midas touch. He would always say: “It is easier to make money than it is to manage it.” The thrill of giving money away is more than rewarding. Unlike a rolling stone that gathers no moss, the power of your own giving is increased when others are encouraged to give. It is just a great feeling to see what your money can do for others, especially when you can see evidence of its impact like you can through the Chi Omega Foundation.

Since I had such an extraordinary undergraduate experience as a Chi Omega, I wanted to stay involved. As soon as I graduated and moved to Atlanta, I called the alumnae chapter right away. I have always remained committed to Chi Omega, and I find that it pays me back every time I give with the positive feelings I receive.

As you know, this year’s Woman of Achievement Dinner theme is Come as You Are: Be Inspired! Who is your Chi Omega inspiration?
My Chi Omega Inspiration is the mother/daughter duo of Howard Dean Gramling Perkinson FitzSimons Lawrence, Sigma/Randolph-Macon–1937, and her mother Emmie Lela Gramling Perkinson, 1902 initiate of Sigma Chapter. Emmie Lela Gramling Perkinson was S.T.B (Vice President) 1904–1906 and S.M. (National Ritual Officer) 1910–1912. In 1959, Emmie wrote my “rec” for rush at the University of Miami. Before she wrote it, I recall going over to her big, old house. She kept up with all the Fraternity details, and in her library was a special shelf on which were stacked every Eleusis in chronological order. Emmie called the sorority every day of rush week to “check in” on me.

Her wedding photo was featured on page 63 of The Eleusis, Spring 2012 edition.

Emmie’s daughter, “Perk,” is now in her 90s and still drives everywhere. I recently ran into her at a local movie theater. The theatre was dark and as she walked by I said, “Hi, Perk.” Without missing a beat she said, “Hi, Malinda,” and sat down. We visited while watching The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel (a must see for those of us in the over 65 crowd). Not only is Perk still driving, she can see in the dark! She never misses a day without first putting on her false eye lashes and then she’s “on-the-go.” What a fantastic Chi O Sister!

Did you know that The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel was made by Fox Searchlight Pictures, whose CEO is one of this year’s Woman of Achievement Award recipients?
I didn’t, but I am not surprised. It is a great movie and it makes sense that my loving it so much would tie back to Chi Omega!

Note to readers:
While Malinda is this year’s recipient of The Roselyn T. Dabbs Philanthropy Award of Chi Omega, she is also the namesake of The Malinda Jolley Mortin Woman of Achievement Award of Chi Omega, given to two remarkable Chi Omega alumnae each Convention year. Malinda’s contribution to A Loyalty to Sisterhood Campaign supported all campaign goals and helped raise $1.5 million for the Foundation. Proceeds from her gift have already and will continue to support many key Chi Omega initiatives. Naming this program for her reflects our appreciation for her leadership and commitment to Chi Omega’s future.

While the founding year of the Achievement Award was 1986, in April 2006, then-Foundation President Jane Rogers announced that Chi Omega would honor Malinda by naming the Woman of Achievement Award for her. The Trustees and Governing Council agreed to name this award in recognition of her dedication to the Fraternity and support of the Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some hoots below!