Saturday, July 14, 2012

Honoring Jean Mermoud Mrasek, President's Award Winner and My "Sister Mom!"

Allison Mrasek (center) flanked by her mom, Jean Mrasek (right), and aunt, Mary Ellen, on her Bid Day at the University of Oklahoma in 2008.
--by Allison Mrasek, Epsilon Alpha/ University of Oklahoma, first year Chi Omega national consultant

I remember the first time my brother, sister, and I attended Convention in 2006 to watch our mom speak. We knew that our mom was a big deal in the Chi Omega world, but had no idea what a sorority celebrity she was until we saw long lines of girls waiting to get their picture with her. To us, she is an incredible lady, but also just a mother, mentor, and friend. I know that tonight she is humbled and honored to receive the President's Award, but she is also modest when such a fuss is made about her. She is a true Sister, and I am proud to be her daughter.

Even from a very young age, Allison had Chi Omega "ever at heart."
As you can imagine, being Jean Mrasek's oldest daughter has involved a little bit of pressure to say the least, but I feel truly blessed to have this unique relationship with her. She has shown me and many others what it means to truly "flourish" in Chi Omega, and each and every day that I commit to this Sisterhood, I can see more clearly why it has been well worth the investment. More than that, my mom has modeled for many women, both young and "experienced," how to let others fulfill a legacy in their own special way.

With a personal understanding of the joys of our ritual, my mom could have easily pointed me in this direction from the start. Instead, she instilled our purposes in my life so that I could realize their beauty and benefit in my own time. Through her Panhellenic spirit and ample opportunity to develop my own passions, the choice was always mine. This has made our bond all the more special, now deepened by a common experience as national consultants.

Her support means the world to me, and I know that wherever I go from here, I will be stronger having undertaken this role.

When writing me notes of encouragement, she likes to sign off as "Sister Mom," and it is so neat to know that we are Sisters first.

At training for my new job as a national consultant, I got to witness our beloved S.H. Letitia Fulkerson in action. She and my mother have many fond memories together, and they have both used their time and talent to share their Chi Omega experience with some amazing women. From my perspective, that is what the President's Award is all about: celebrating Sisterhood and the leadership that guides it. 

I hope that you take this occasion to celebrate the Sisters and the special relationships in your life. This is a very meaningful day for my family, so if you see me amid a mess of tears at the banquet this evening, you'll know why!

The President’s Award recognizes extraordinary service to Chi Omega Fraternity and is the highest honor bestowed by the organization. Congratulations to Jean Mermoud Mrasek, Epsilon Gamma/The University of Tulsa, on receiving this award!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some hoots below!